Here’s our version of the no-elastic face mask. It also comes with a slot to add in a filter!
We ran out of elastics and needed another alternative to an elastic cloth mask. This no-elastic face mask is also perfect for hijabis or those who are searching for a tie back version. Here’s the tutorial to make one:
- the Face Mask without Elastic PDF Sewing Pattern
- Outer fabric (about 20 cm x 20 cm)
- Inner fabric (about 20 cm x 20 cm)
- Fabric for the bands
1. Download and print out the Digital PDF Sewing Pattern – Face Mask without Elastic here.
2. Cut out the required pieces. Don’t forget to fold the fabric where stated in the pattern.
3. For the piece with half a shape, tape the shape together.
5. Preparing the Straps
a) Carefully pin a sewing pin into your ironing board. The center width should measure 2 cm.
b) Fold the edges of 1 strip into the centre and push it under the pin. Iron and press the folded strip. Fold the strip in half and iron again.
Now back to making the mask.
9. Pin the folds down and sew a straight line along the side. We like to sew 2 times just to reinforce the folds.
11. Match the centers and fold the straps over the edge of the folded rectangle.
12. Fold the edge of the strap inside and pin to secure.
12. Now, sew along the edge of the strap to secure it.
13. Tada! Your mask is now complete!
Optional: Adding nose bridge clip
If you feel like you need extra security around the bridge of the nose, you could reuse the metal strip from a used disposable mask.
Pick out some stitches from the inner side of the top strap. Next, slip in the metal strip and sew the little hole shut.
You could also insert the metal step during Step 11. But we only figured we needed the metal strip after completing our mask. Hope this tutorial helps!